Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Now Denounce You Man and Black!

For the brothas and sistas reading this, you'll feel me. To those of you from other races, this may be a little insight into the inner workings of how some black people feel. Sit back, relax, and try to keep an open mind.

Is anyone else concerned about the amount of backtracking Barack Obama is having to do. Well, maybe backtracking is not a strong enough word. Denouncing is what the media is calling it. I choose to say its more white washing. Since Barack became a strong candidate for President, around February, left and right it seems like Barack is having to somewhere apologize for or justify his connection to something. At this rate, Barack will have to denounce the fact that he's a black man by election day. (Hence the title of this blog).

It all started with Jeremiah Wright, his controversial pastor. Now, I have to admit that I'd heard of Trinity United Church of Christ long before this controversy. I knew a few individuals that were members there, but I myself have never attended. Personally I knew those particular individuals had a very benign opinion of Jesus Christ, and I could only imagine what kind of church they would be willing to attend. So it was no surprise when I was listening to the Sean Hannity show this past November or December, and he played some audio of the pastor's sermons. I listened to the audio and thought to myself, hmmm, this isn't good. Not what the pastor said. (Hell as black people we might not necessarily agree with Jeremiah Wright on everything, but as a black man who's lived on the Earth 50 plus years, we definitely respect his right to say it). Instead I was thinking, this isn't good for Barack.

Now things didn't immediately blow up about the issue. Instead, the Jeremiah Wright fiasco was brought up once Barack seemed to be making some headway against Ms. Hillary. I believe the best way to describe it is as a firestorm! Now prior to this firestorm erupting, Barack's camp was more or less silent on the issue. Well, no longer was that a possibility. Barack became very vocal on the issue. First he and wife officially withdrew as members of Trinity. The controversy culminated in him giving what was hailed as Obama's speech on race.


Obama came through the whole fiasco relatively unscathed. Sure, it cost him decisive defeats in Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, but at that point, those defeats were marginal at best. However, the most important thing that we discovered is that when the going gets tough, Barack will distance himself from the tough. Now that may have been his toughest test, but it certainly wouldn't be his last.

At a fundraiser in July, Obama had fellow Chicagoan Bernie Mack speak. During a brief routine, Bernie Mack told a joke that caused some nervous laughter, and even more booing and calls for Mack to leave the stage in lieu of the person they were there to honor in Barack. Mack's joke spoke of explaining the difference between a hypothetical question and a realistic question to his nephew. To demonstrate, he tells the nephew to go ask his mother if she would make love to the mailman for $50,000. The mother says she would make love to the mailman and anybody else for $50,000. He tells the nephew to go ask his sister if she would make love with her neighbor for $50,000. She says she would make love with the neighbor and anybody else for $50,000. So he tells the nephew: “Hypothetically speaking, we should have $100,000. But realistically speaking we live with two hoes,” Bernie Mac said.

Now I don't know about you, but I found the joke to be funny. Call it a crazy sense of humor, but I heard Bernie's voice in my head, and couldn't stop laughing. Well I guess Barack didn't find it as funny. Upon taking the stage, Barack told the crowd that unity was essential in the Democratic Party. He said it should not be divided by race, religion, region, class or gender. "That means, by the way, Bernie, you got to clean up your act. This is a family affair.” I would consider that denouncement number two.

Well you should know where I'm going next. What's more offensive than black comedy? Of course, rap music. Now Nas has a new album out. One of its hottest tracks is inspired by the potential presidency of Barack Obama. "Black President" samples Tupac's quote in Wonder if Heaven got a ghetto. "And though it seems heaven sent, we ain't ready to have a black president".

Barack has been mentioned in a few other rap songs. Common, Will I am of the Black Eyed Peas, and Jay-Z have all mentioned Barack in various songs. Without much fanfare. But again a firestorm, this time on a smaller scale, erupted when what seemed like a freestyle by Ludacris hit the Internet.

Well, in what's become typical Barack fashion, his camp quickly moved to distance himself from the slightest appearance of approval of such behavior. A spokesperson for the politician says, "As Barack Obama has said many, many times in the past, rap lyrics today too often perpetuate misogyny, materialism and degrading images that he doesn't want his daughters or any children exposed to. This song is not only outrageously offensive to Senator Clinton, Reverend Jackson, Senator McCain and President Bush, it is offensive to all of us who are trying to raise our children with the values we hold dear. While Ludacris is a talented individual, he should be ashamed of these lyrics."

As a true fan of hip-hop, Luda snapped. Were his lyrics patently offensive, to Senator Clinton, Jesse Jackson, Senator McCain and President Bush, perhaps. Was I offended? No. Hell, Luda said some of the things that I've been wanting to say in this very same blog. (Don't worry Jesse, I haven't forgotten about you. Another day, another time). Should you be offended by hearing Ludacris' rhyme? Well to each his own, but the problem I have with denouncement number three is that Barack seems to neglect the fact that a large segment of his support is coming from the youth. In advance of the Pennsylvania primary it is stated that 70% of the 218,923 new registered voters were between the ages of 18 and 35.

http://thehiphopcosign.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/pennsylvania-youth-voter-registration-increased-over-70-in-2008-national-hip-hop-team-vote-summit-in-philadelphia-makes-an-impact/

With so many individuals falling within that 18-35 demographic, you have no choice but to label them the Hip-hop generation. So why would Barack more or less spit in the eyes of some of his staunchest supporters? A better question is, are we gonna let him get away with it? Unfortunately the answer is "Hell Yeah"! And he knows that. The prospect of having a black president is so overwhelming in the eyes of most of us that Barack could announce that slavery would be back in effect the minute he took office, and I'd bet you that at least 25% of black people would still vote for him. They'd say "oh he's just using reverse psychology to trick white people into voting for him". (Let's keep it real, any black person who would still vote for him at that point probably has no clue of what reverse psychology is).

With all this denouncing that Barack has been doing, let me do some denouncing of my own. (On his behalf of course). As unofficial spokesman for the Barack Obama for President campaign, I would like to denounce the following:




I denounce Lil Wayne - Sometimes you display skill. But please stop referring to yourself as the greatest. (That is unless you're saying you're the greatest from Louisiana. That would make you akin to a gold medalist at the special Olympics).






I denounce the people who are still driving around with spinning hubcaps - It was never an acceptable fashion statement. However, 3 years after the apex of the spinning rim revolution, you just look ridiculous. As my cousin LaTressa would say "Stop The Madness"!






I denounce anyone remotely associated with the movie Snakes on a Plane - From Samuel L. Jackson down to the guy who brought coffee to the director. If it were possible, I'd like to revoke your citizenships. The worst movie ever made. Period!




I denounce cut buddies who catch feelings - If two people hook up on a sexual level, sometimes that's all it is. I know it sounds harsh, but if you desire more than that, establish it up front. Allow the other person to decide if they want to go there with you. Anything after that is patently unfair.

I've only run for one political office. I ran for vice-president of the student body when I was in the eighth grade. I Lost! I like to believe that I only lost by a few votes. (I hope it wasn't a landslide. Even worse, I hope that myself and my brother weren't the only two votes that I received. You did vote for me right Cor?). That being said, I comprehend the concept of pandering. I also understand the more important concept of staying true to one's self. Barack, keep it real man. I know that when you heard Jeremiah Wright preach, a portion of what the man said resonated within you. When you heard Bernie Mack's joke, you probably laughed yourself. And being that you are a fan of Ludacris', you yourself bobbed your head to the beat when you heard his freestyle. Stop being a politician. Understand that what people appreciate about you is that you're not the average politician. Keep it real. I know you want to win the election. But as Cee-lo said "I'd rather struggle on my feet than to live on my knees". Words to live by man. Because if you do lose, remember, you have to come back to the hood. Wouldn't you like our respect when you get there?


-DrizaDre

P.S. In case you do win. You need to begin preparing white people for the fact that niggas are gonna act a fool. The local championship celebration is gonna look like a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese by comparison. Just a word of advice. You already know the "first black president" is gonna get blamed for everything. Let white people know that this one is beyond your ability to control. Either that or just blame it on Bush. He technically will still be the president. lol

No comments: