Monday, December 8, 2008

Today's Forecast

Images such as the one to my left are very beautiful and display some of Mother Nature's finest work. However, that may be where it stops for me when it comes to snow.

Someone that's use to tropical temparatures asked me the other day if it was snowing by me. I replied "not yet, but I really don't care for the snow anyways." They then replied "you may be the first American I know that dislikes snow." Well one would think that having lived in Chicago for all these years, I would be used to the snow by now and prepared to deal with it year by year. However, I must admit that I am never quite prepared for it. I can deal with the cold all day long but the snow just changes up the game.

There was once up a time when I lived in Southern, California. And as we all know Tony, Toni, Tone said, it never rains there, so you know for damn sure it's not snowing. So back then especially being that I was younger I did miss the snow. But since I've been old enough to drive (which is basically how long I've consecutively lived in Chicago a little over 10 years), I've disliked and sometimes hated the snow. Now I'm sure some of you, especially those in climates that don't get much snow, are wondering what is so bad about the snow? Well I'm glad you've asked and I'm sure if you've read any of my blogs you know that a list is coming so here it is:


Cleaning off the car
Yes when it's winter time, so I'm used to having to go down and warm/start up my car before I leave out for work in the morning. However, I hate having to spend an extra 10-20 minutes to brush snow and scrape ice off my car windows. Then I can't forget about the lovely Chicago winds. So as I brush tthe snow off it blows right back in my face. Uggh!!



Black Ice
Better watch where you step. The ground may look like sidwalk, but you can easily end up flat on your ass if you step in the wrong place. I've never personally hit the ground when slipping on black ice. However, as my brother described I've had many Idon'twantanyonetoseemefallitis moments. In fact, just yesterday I got out of the car and slipped as I was walking up to the office. Luckily no one saw me so I was cool. Too cool to be embarrassed. lol.


Can't Drive in the snow
Most people can barely drive with no type of adverse weather; therefore, you find yourself driving defensively the majority of the time. However, when it snows (at least in Chicago) people just can't drive at all. They either go way too slow or way too fast. Also, I'm guilty of this one. Some don't clean all the snow off the top of their cars. So, as they speed past you get a windshield full of snow.


No plowed streets
Of course they only plow/salt the major streets when the snow first falls. Therefore, if you live on a side street don't expect a plowed street for a couple of days. Then when they finally do plow the side streets they bury your car under 1-2 feet of snow. Therefore, you not only have to clean the snow of your car again, but you now have to dig your car out from under the snow.




Secured Parking Spots
Speaking of Cars burried in snow. How about having to dig your car out of the snow and then having someone potentially steal your parking spot. As a security measure [here in Chicago] people will place different objects in the parking spot to claim it as their own. I remember one year even our Mayor Daley was on TV telling people that they can't do this. Think it stopped them? Hell No! You dig out a parking spot then it's your spot at least until the snow melts.





Slush
Speaking of melting snow. I absolutely hate when the snow and ice begins to melt, whether from the salt or the sun and rising temperatures. The streets become all slushy and it's a mess to walk through. By then it's so dirty that as you drive through it and it splashes on your car that it leaves your car filthy. Then you have to get your car washed again. But you probably just got it washed because you didn't want the salt to start eating away at the paint on your car.





Clumps of snow
I don't even know why or have a reasonable explanation for this one. But I absolutely hate when the snow clumps up behind my tire. I guess it just looks dirty or something to me. But I usually find myself kicking this until it breaks up. Even though it always seems to reappear after I drive again.




So there you have it. Although snow usually means building snowmen, making snow angels, sledding, etc. I say that stuff is for kids. I'm sure its great for them especially if they have a chance to miss a day of school. But as an adult snow doesn't mean I don't have to go to work. So, it's more of a burden to me. Side note: I just checked today's weather forecast and they say are calling for snow today and most of this week. (Oh Joy lucky me!).
Now I'm sure most of you may be wondering if I hate the snow so much why I don't move to a warmer climate? Well unfortunately, that's not an option for me at this time. However, I'll be on vacation in 2 weeks, but sadly can't afford to go any where. LoL. But if anyone wants to contribute to my vacation fund. Hit me up. LoL


--C-Recks--

30 comments:

Miss.Stefanie said...

I wish it snowed in Los Angeles...okay, no I don't. But I would totally go to the mountains if I wasn't so scared of the mountain roads...

Kingsmomma said...

LMFAO @ you falling!!!


I am on my comupter pointing and laughing b/c i can just imagine yo faling and this is teh behavior i would display if i were there in person.

do not expect anything less unless you're an elder or pregnant.

still laughing
but i hate the snow too

Still Patrice said...

dude i almost FUCKED myself up this morning walking to the car and hit a patch of black ice. smh

i gre up in new orleans been in stl for 3yrs... i'm sick of this snow ish and im plotting my escape now lol

B.Marie said...

YOU KNOW I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I LOVE SNOW... SINCE I DON'T GET TO SEE IT THAT OFTEN... BUT STILL DRIVING IN IT ISN'T ON MY TOP LIST OF THEINGS TO DO

Humbly Beautiful said...

I am not a big fan of snow either for all the reasons you have stated. I am southern girl for a reason. On the occasions that it does snow the city shuts down. I am grown now, I still have to go to work if it snows so I get no benefits of skipping a day.

Chey said...

im gonna have to agree wit u and say i hate the damn snow. Cleanin off the car is a headache especially if ur like me and usuallu end up using the sleeve to your coat since i can never find the scraper when i need it

Sexxy Luv said...

yay! snow for you. i can't wait! lol

i have been dealing with snow for about a week or so now so i'm glad someone will be feeling my pain. :)

i feel your pain on all except one, and that is the cleaning snow off the car, i park underground so i don't experience that one. lol

Unknown said...

I love snow for about the first thirty minutes.
I love when snow first falls it is so beautiful.
Until I have to go outside and shovel the driveway and sidewalk :)

Looking for volunteers. . .

Black ice is the worse.
Oh I have gotten messed up because of it.

clnmike said...

I didnt know I missed snow till I came down here to Georgia, it snows one day out of the year and that stuff doesnt stick.

People loose their minds when it does that, you would think it was a flood the way they raid the grocery stores and slip and slide all over the place.

Not so Anonymous said...

I absolutely l.o.v.e. the snow. I miss it so much being out here in California, but I'm headed to tahoe for Christmas so I can enjoy it.

I only hate snow when people don't take it off their roof and trunk and it flys onto my window while driving down the street. Other than that, I love, love, love the snow.

Amarie said...

That was good! lol I always love snow, but only for the first day or two. Then it's messy, slushy, and yucky. We have all those same experiences here, in New York, with the exception that our snow plows are on it, the minute the mayor says,"SNOW!" I gotta give our city workers their props! :-D

Anonymous said...

Damn...I love snow!!!:)

Darius T. Williams said...

LOL - funny - but ya know...that's Chicago for ya. I'v been here all my life - so I'm used to this kinda stuff. Welcome winter! The key is just to be prepared!

ToshaRenelle said...

I live in Michigan, so yep, I feel every last thing on that list! SNOW SUCKS!

Diva's Thoughts said...

I absolutely HATE the snow and winter.

Bloggal said...

you know, i can tolerate the snow. what i CANNOT stand are bitter chicago winters! it get's so unbelievably cold in illinois. right now i'm away at school (u of i in urbana-champaign) and we've been getting some insanely cold weather (HIGHS of 20!). i've heard it's not as bad in chicago right now, so i'm actually looking foward to coming home next week lol.

JuJu said...

awh i miss the snow but def glad i live in beautiful san diego where we don't have to deal with that too much; well.. at all!! haha

urbanknitrix said...

Wow didn't know the Chi and Chocolate City (soon to be mocha) have so much in common.

I feel you on the snow and thank goodness, I have a garage now, I dont have to worry about the neighborly fights I use to see back in the day from a saved parking space cause bro man digged the snow out of a public space on the street and someone ganked their spot.

That black has gotten plenty people (knock on wood).

StarzGazR said...

WOW! You hit every single reason why i hate snow.. I only enjoy it for the first 30 minutes.. but once it starts to stick.. and pile up... i just hatee it!!

I already hatte waking up early.. now i gotta add 30 minutes to clean up the snow... and then the whole parking space... ON POINT!!!

1/3 said...

LOL I agree with most on this list. every since i graduated from high school snow just means backed up traffic and slippery sidewalks. here in balimore we barely get alot of snow but when we do its enough to make you want to scream!

i still want a blanket of snow for christmas. sorry its the kid in me lol

Mizrepresent said...

See, i'm one of those who miss the snow since i've been away from it from awhile since i used to live in IN, close to Chi-town...don't want to go back...but i do miss it!

A said...

I feel the exact same way! The first day I saw snow on the ground I was depressed lol The worst to me is when the snow turns to slush, gets all dirty and seems to get everywhere! Your shoes, your car its just there! lol Also I'm blind as hell so that black ice gets me every year! lmao

She Draws said...

I was about to get sooo mad because I couldn't find the comment screen!! Okay you will be upset to know that when I watch then news and see cars sliding into each other in what seems to be slow motion..I laugh...OKAY I'm sorry it's crazy I've never experienced any real snow here...hell we can wear shorts most Christmas! Okay I don't think I like snow either!!!

*muah*

I think I'm gonna adopt you guys as my brothers!!!

Go B.

Teems said...

For pretty much the same reason above I dont like snow. However I do think snow sitting on tree branches are pretty. If it would just hit the trees and not the ground, I'd be cool.

..And about those clumps of snow... You DEFINITELY want to kick that off the shield. I hate it the dirty look too; but they build up and freez. We never want the clumps to touch our tires making it any more difficult or unsafe.

Le Stylist Cheri said...

It looks so colddddd!
aaah, it should start snowing in NYC, pretty soon!
I HAVE MY gloves ready! =]

Sexxy Luv said...

what's taking so damn long?....

ANGELINA said...

thank god i'm in la! you should get some funds together and come here for a vacation. it's 70 degrees and sunny today...i'll enjoy it for you :)

Ishea said...

I share your sentiments in regards to snow! I'm not a fan. I lived in Scottsdale, AZ the last 5 years and despite growing up in Chicago, the winter temps are not my friend. It's amazing how quickly your body can forget the cold and honestly, this shit sucks! My poor car sits on the side of the road freezing and angry that I moved back here and I can no longer whip it around...I'm a summer kind of girl...I'm counting down to when the winter packs its bags and ushers in the spring.

Lil Miss Honey B said...

Where I live, it snows like once every 20 years or something like that...

T. Michelle Theus said...

I'm in Cali so I can't really relate =/ The times I have experienced snow (in New Mexico and D.C.) it barely came down so it was more pretty than annoying. And judging from this list I think I would hate to live where it snows =p Wishing you sunshine in the months ahead :)